Please, configure this plugin in Admin Panel first.
Where are your offices
We are located at Besta Court along Ngong' Road, in Kiserian town (South of Nairobi)
What is the benefit of owning a licensed homestay?
There is more than just being a homestay owner, some of the benefits you will enjoy are:
- Earning additional income from tourists besides the regular income and sustained employment.
- Use of Official Government Tourism Brand, linkages and Websites for marketing.
- Support from the Government in Capacity Building.
- Facilitation by the Government in getting loans from financial institutions for the improvement of the existing Homestays or conversion of houses into homestays.
What is the eligibility for registration and licensing of a homestay?
- Individuals or families who own a house of good quality and wish to accommodate paying guests may spare at least ONE (1) room and up to maximum SIX (6) rooms for tourist accommodation in one house.
- The approval for registration and licensing will be given only in those cases where the owner/promoter of the unit along with his/her family is physically residing in the same unit or home environment.
- At least one of the family members should be able to communicate in English.
- Priority for registration and licensing will be only for operational Homestays.
- Once the home stay operator applies for registration, it has to be ready for inspection by the government officials.
- The officials from the Department of Tourism will evaluate the presence of facilities and services against the approved standards guidelines provided for pre qualification for registration and licensing.
- Licenses will be valid for a period of One (1) year from the date of issue and applications for renewal must be submitted at least Three (3) months before the expiry date of the current license.
- All initial applications for the registration and licensing must be complete in all respects, and accompanied a certificate from the Local Authority along with the applicable fee. Incomplete application is liable to be rejected.
- The licensed Homestay units are expected to maintain required standards at all times. The authorized Ministry officials could inspect the same at any time without prior notice.
- The Ministry inspection officials, based on knowledge and understanding of homestays categorization principles, may recommend a category either higher or lower than the one applied for by the owner.
What are the recommended license fees?
Economy Level Homestays - Ksh. 1,000
Standard Level Homestays - Ksh. 2,000
Eecutive Level Homestays - Ksh. 3,000
Why should I choose a homestay over a Hotel?
Whether traveling for business or pleasure, there are many reasons to choose a homestay instead of other accommodations. Homestays offer:
- Often cheaper - especially when traveling with family, or in a group.
- You get Authentic home cooked food
- A homestay lets you come closer to culturally richer experiences
- Homestay gives you personalized services
- Homestays generates income for locals